EDUCATIONTHE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL, Washington, D.C. JD 1973
THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY, ELLIOT SCHOOL OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, WASHINGTON, D.C. BA INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS 1970
· DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, 1974
· U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia; 1976, U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit; 1979, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit;
1980, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; 1982, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; 1984, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit and U.S. Court of
Appeals, Federal Circuit; 1987, U.S. Supreme Court; 2000, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth and Tenth Circuits.
PROFESSIONAL RATINGMARTINDALE HUBBELL RATING: AV PREEMINENT
2013 TOP RATED LAWYER IN INTERNATIONAL LAW & INTERNATIONAL TRADE-AMERICAN LAWYER MEDIA AND MARTINDALE-HUBBELL
· GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
· Professor of Law, Adjunct Faculty 2009 - Present
· Law 6599, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility Seminar
· Law 6218, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility
· SHAWNCOULSON, LLP (AND MERGED PREDECESSOR FIRM) WASHINGTON, D.C.
· Co-Managing Partner. 1986-Present
· Representation of international and domestic U.S. clients in transactional, litigation, and related matters.
· EXCLUSIVE AUTOMOTIVE GROUP ASTON MARTIN AND BENTLEY MOTORS DEALER – TYSON, VA
· Owner 2012 – Present
· DONOVAN, LEISURE, NEWTON & IRVINE, WASHINGTON, D.C., AND NEW YORK, N. Y.
· Partner 1985-1986
· Representation of international and domestic U.S. clients in litigation and administrative proceedings.
· GROVE, JASKIEWICZ, GILLIAM & COBERT, WASHINGTON, D.C.
· Partner 1978-1985
· Associate 1974-1978
· Representation of transportation and energy interests before administrative agencies and the courts.
· INTERSTATE COMMERCE COMMISSION HONORS PROGRAM, WASHINGTON, D.C. 1973-1974
· Adjudication of contested motor carrier, barge, and pipeline cases as Attorney Examiner
PRACTICE EXPERIENCERepresented and counseled clients in over 100 national and international mergers and acquisitions, licensing, franchising, LBO’s, joint ventures, financings, and similar commercial transactions. Tried over 100 bench and jury trials and arbitrations involving partnership, legal ethics, intellectual property, antitrust, banking, regulatory, and tax issues in Federal and state courts and administrative agencies, litigated hundreds of procedural and dispositive motions throughout the courts, and argued approximately 25 appeals before Federal and state appellate courts.
· Sun-Tek Industries, Inc. v. Kennedy Sky Lites, Inc., 848 F.2d 179, 6 U.S.P.Q.2d 2017 (Fed. Cir. 1988);
· Sun-Tek Industries, Inc. v. Kennedy Sky Lites, Inc. 856 F.2d 173, 8 U.S.P.Q.2d 1154 (Fed. Cir. 1988);
· Sun-Tek Industries, Inc. v. Kennedy Sky-Lites, Inc., 865 F.2d 1254, 9 U.S.P.Q. 1574 (Fed. Cir. 1989);
· Sun-Tek Industries, Inc. v. Kennedy Sky-Lites, Inc., 779 F. Supp. 589 (M.D. Fla. 1991);
· Mann v. Underground Tank Containment Systems, Inc., 715 F. Supp. 706 (E.D. Pa. 1989);
· American Trucking Associations, Inc. v. Scheiner, 483 U.S. 266 (1987);
· Ontario Trucking Ass'n v. New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, 236 A.D.2d 70, 665 N.Y.S.2d 694 (1997);
· American Trucking Associations, Inc. v. I.C.C. 669 F.2d 957 (5th Cir. 1982);
· Churchill Truck Lines, Inc., v. U.S., 624 F.2d 63 (8th Cir. 1980);
· Provost Cartage Inc. v. I.C.C. 686 F.2d 221 (5th Cir. 1982);
· American Bus Ass'n v. U.S., 627 F.2d 525 (D.C. Cir. 1980);
· Chemical Leaman Tank Lines, Inc. v. I.C.C., 593 F.2d 241 (3rd Cir. 1979).
REPRESENTATIVE COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
· Represented numerous foreign and domestic business interests in sales, purchases, formations, financing, and numerous transactions throughout the United States and various countries. Also acted as an outside general counsel for numerous trade associations, foreign-owned U.S. entities, and other businesses.
· Co-Managing Partner-international commercial litigation and commercial transactions: Acquisition of Miami, Florida Publisher by U.K. Publisher; $110 Million Financing for German Real Estate Developer; $20 Million Afghanistan Reconstruction Contract; Worldwide Licensing Agreement with for American Franchisor; $900 Million Ownership/Control Issues for Thai petroleum company; $12.5 Million Financing for U.S. Environmental Company; Sale of Washington, D.C.-based national bank; $100 Million Joint Venture-U.S./China Furniture Manufacturing; $135 Million Russian Residential Mortgage Program; $25 Million OPIC-Guaranteed Turkey Housing License and Facility; $25 Million Acquisition of EU Distributor by U.S. Apparel Co.; Canada/Mexico Trucking Joint Venture; Saudi Air Cargo Joint Venture; French Oil Pipeline Manufacturer Acquisition of U.S.-Based Affiliate; $30 Million Acquisition of U.S. Environmental Company; $12.5 Million Sale of Commercial Real Estate Development Rights; International Expansion for U.S. Restaurant Franchisor; $110 Million Sale of California Furniture Manufacturer; Special Counsel-Macy's Bankruptcy; Sale of U.S. lobbying firms; Acquisition of U.S. media company; Sale of U.S. manufacturer; Lead Counsel in numerous trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secrets cases in U.S. Federal Courts, Lead Counsel in repeal of New York's Franchise Tax on Canadian businesses.
OTHER REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSRepresented Islamic Republic of Iran on various commercial matters, 2004-2005; U.S.-based, multinational corporation on changes to U.S. tax code involving repatriation of foreign earnings, 2002- 2004; Thai Senate Finance Committee before U.S. Congress on Sarbanes-Oxley issues, 2001-2002; and Canadian trade association on repeal of U.S. trade moratorium and drafted President Ronald Reagan’s Memorandum dated September 20, 1982.
HONORS AND APPOINTMENTSManaging Member, NetFax Development, 2004-present; Managing Member, Bonded Private Networks, 2004-present; Member, George Washington University Law School Board of Advisors, 2000-present; Distinguished Alumnus, George Washington University Law School; White House Alumni Association; Arbitrator, National Arbitration Forum 1999-present; Chairman, Eurolink for Lawyers International Law Firm Network, 1998-2000; Special Court-appointed Counsel, Macy’s Bankruptcy, 1993; Transportation Lawyers Association, Chairman Practice and Procedure Committee, 1982-1984 and Distinguished Service Award, 1981; Director, L'Association Canadienne des Avocats en Transport, 1982-1985; Special Counsel, American Trucking Associations, 1981; Trustee, Stone Ridge Country Day School of the Sacred Heart, 1980-1985.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
· “DOING BUSINESS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014”, World Bank Group, Contributing Author for U.S.
· “DOING BUSINESS IN THE UNITED STATES - A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR CHINESE BUSINESSES”, Presentation, International Law Firms Meeting,
Guangzhou, China, November 11, 2016.
· “Brexit and You”, ShawnCoulson International Lawyers News Alert, July 11, 2016.
· “GUIDANCE FOR IN-HOUSE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS ON THE “REASONABLE FEE” AND ETHICAL LEGAL SPEND CONTROL STRATEGIES”,
Symposiarch, The George Washington University Law School Inaugural Symposium on Legal Fees in Complex Litigation and Transactions, October
· “RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE INTERNATIONAL TRADEMARK ASSOCIATION’S ENFORCEMENT COMMITTEE, TRADE NAMES SUBCOMMITTEE
FOR BEST NATIONAL PRACTICES ON BUSINESS IDENTIFIERS”, July 25, 2011, Contributing Committee Member.
· “ALL YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW AND WERE AFRAID TO ASK” Paper and Presentation to Mississippi
Bar Annual Convention, July 12, 2011.
· “THE US CREDIT CRISIS WILL AFFECT PERSONAL AND CORPORATE LIABILITY FOR YEARS TO COME” The In-House Lawyer, November 2008.
· “REDUCED US GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE IN ACCUSED EXECUTIVES’ DEFENSE ARRANGEMENTS” The In-House Lawyer, October 2008.
· “INTERNATIONAL FRANCHISING-GLOBAL BUSINESS EXPANSION IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM” presented to the AGM of Euro-Link for Lawyers,
Nice, France October 1998.
· “ACCESS TO THE U.S. CAPITAL MARKETS FOR FOREIGN BUSINESS INTERESTS-PRIVATE AND PUBLIC CAPITAL OPPORTUNITIES IN THE UNITED
STATES FOR EUROPE’S BUSINESS,” presented to the AGM of JurisConsult, Heidelberg, Germany 1997.
“THE AGE OF THE ‘VIRTUAL’ LAW FIRM” The European, October 12, 1995.
· “CABOTAGE-OPERATING STRATEGIES FOR THE U.S. MARKET” presented to the Ontario Trucking Association, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 1988.
· “POINT-TO-POINT HAULING IN THE UNITED STATES: THE ‘INS’ AND ‘OUTS’ OF USING CANADIAN TRUCKS AND DRIVERS IN DOMESTIC
UNITED STATES TRAFFIC” presented to L’Association Canadienne des Avocats en Transport, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada 1988.
· “ANTITRUST EXEMPTIONS AND DEFENSES RELEVANT TO THE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY” presented to the Western Transportation Law
Seminar, ICC Practitioners’ Association, San Francisco, California, 1986.
· “EFFECTS ON MOTOR CARRIERS OF RECENT LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW DEVELOPMENTS” presented to the Regular Common Carrier
Conference of the American Trucking Associations, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 29, 1984.
· “OPEN BORDER FROM THE U.S. PERSPECTIVE” presented to the Canadian Trucking Association, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, May 16, 1984.
· “MOTOR AND RAIL CONTRACTS AND THE ANTITRUST LAWS-THE LIMITS OF LAWFUL NEGOTIATION AND AGREEMENT” presented to the
Western Transportation Law Seminar, ICC Practitioners’ Association, Denver, Colorado, 1983.
· “A BRIEF ANALYSIS OF THE MOTOR CARRIER ACT OF 1980” presented to the Western Transportation Law Seminar, ICC Practitioners’
Association, Kansas City, Missouri, 1981.
EXPERT WITNESS TESTIMONYExpert witness testimony before U.S. courts and foreign tribunals on ethics, legal fees, intellectual property, antitrust, and regulatory issues.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY DEVELOPEDCO-INVENTOR OF METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR SECURING THE PRIVACY OF A COMPUTER NETWORK, APPLICATION NO. 10/767,815, AWAITING LETTERS PATENT ISSUANCE.